Monday, November 26, 2007

Dancing with the Stars Angst


I'm having serious angst right now. It's the finals tonight and I'm trying to vote, but the website keeps freezing on me. I sent an e-mail to ABC.com in the hopes that they'll get it worked out, but chances are, they won't and it's going to mess up the voting.

Now, as to my thoughts on tonight -- this being the final, I'm going to make this an actual post instead of just putting it in my sidebar. It's that important.

I've said it before and I'll say it again. I love Marie Osmond. I have my entire life. I was even listening to an Osmond Family Christmas earlier. But her performances tonight were not up to par. Jonathan did not choreograph her samba very well, and her doll routine, while cute, was not up to the standard of this show. This said, I'm worried that she's going to take this competition on the strength of her tremendous fan base alone, and if she did that, it would be a shame. She is not up to the abilities of the other dancers.


Mel has come so far. She's got some serious talent and I'm voting for her. I voted ten times and I would have continued, if the website would let me. Grrrr! I like Helio and I have from the start, but over the last several weeks, Mel has turned in more consistent performances. I don't care much for her personally -- she's a little crass and bawdy -- but man, that girl can dance.

I'll be dashing home from Pack Meeting tomorrow night to watch the results and see how it all plays out. If Marie does take the trophy, I think the show is going to need to seriously evaluate how the judging works. I think I would much rather see the three judges pick the winners -- America is clueless sometimes. Look how long Wayne Newton stayed. Look how long Master P stayed. This shouldn't be a popularity contest -- this should be judged on talent alone.

7 comments:

Karen said...

Tristi, I agree with you that the judging should be based on the talent. And Mel has been a very strong contender the last couple weeks. But her "bawdiness and crassness" as you so well put it, has, for me, overshadowed her talent, especially in this last number. Why does it always have to come down to that? And the Spice Sisters booing Carrie Ann didn't do much for me either.

So, this is where I just throw up my hands and say . . . whatever. However, Marie still got my Catholic vote tonight because she is a great entertainer, as is Helio. I think the judge was right, he's a good mix of talent and entertainment.

Just my Humble Opinion. I'm glad I had a place to vent about Mel!

Tamra Norton said...

I complettely, utterly, absolutely, and everything-ly agree! I love Marie too--I really do, and always have. But Jennie should have been dancing tonight (not Marie)...and I agree--I think this is Mel's season. It will be interesting to see how this thing ends up. I like Helio(sp) as well, and wouldn't cry if he won. But Marie...

mindyluwho said...

Some day I should really watch that show!

Marta O. Smith said...

I don't think it would be a tragedy if Marie won. Unlike Master P, she is a real entertainer. Mel is a bit too crass, I agree. Helio is good, but is Julianne in front of him wowing the crowd.

And speaking as a 40-something, I am so in awe that Marie has made it this far and kept working hard. She's had a tough year. The fan support has got to be a huge emotional boost.

But as far as DANCING . . . I guess my pick would be Helio.

Tristi Pinkston said...

Ooops, I didn't mean to compare Marie to Master P -- she's put in some serious hard work and can dance, as opposed to that bump on a log who just stood there and wouldn't even wear the ballroom shoes. I just meant to illustrate that a popularity vote doesn't always include the best dancers.

Ronda Gibb Hinrichsen said...

I agree with your summation. It makes me wonder if that's what's going on in the book industry, too. Are, perhaps, some of the best written books not being published because the authors aren't "popular" enough? What do you think?
By the way, thanks for visiting my blog. I tried to give you more info on "Wretched Excess" in the following entry.

Anonymous said...

hi tristi,
i have sure enjoyed seeing marie perform in this capacity though. but i have not loved every single one of hers. but i have loved watching this entertainer ever since i was a kid. i am 39 now. my fav of her dances was the ____ waltz. just beautiful and breathtaking. so glad she said yes to doing this.

take care, kathleen :)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...