Sunday, May 27, 2007

Memorial Day



My childhood is punctuated by trips to the cemetery on Memorial Day. My mom's family is buried in Logan, while my dad's is down in San Juan County. Logan being much closer, we'd head there, leaving flowers on the graves of my mom's mom, grandmother, great-grandparents, and the baby my parents lost before the rest of us were born. Now my grandpa, great-aunt, and a cousin are buried there too. Memorial Day has always been a time for us to think about our relatives who have gone before us.

Over the past few years, though, the holiday has taken on new meaning for me. The more I study and learn about the wars and conflicts we've faced as a nation, the more I respect and appreciate those men and women who have given their lives in defense of our country. Reading the accounts of their lives and their heroic deeds has made it impossible for me to think of Veteran's Day as just another holiday, and Memorial Day takes on new meaning as well.

There are two songs that come to my mind as I think about the celebrations tomorrow. First, to honor my ancestors, "They, the Builders of the Nation." And, to honor our departed heroes, our national anthem. Happy Memorial Day, everyone.

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...