Wednesday, December 27, 2006

New Year’s Resolutions – the Write Way

What a fabulous time of year! We’re ready to hit 2007 with a bang, right all we did wrong last year, become everything we were meant to be, lose all that weight, pay off all that debt, strengthen our marriages and uplift our children. Right?

At least, that’s what it seems like. Every time I think of what I want to accomplish in the new year, I remind myself of Superman flying backwards around the world to turn back the clock and change everything I’ve done up until now. That option’s not open to me; all I can do is concentrate on what will come in the future.

But I love it that New Year’s is right after Christmas. During the Christmas season, we are reminded of what life is really about and what our place in it should be. We have a week to really think about it, and then we start afresh with a new calender, empty except for major holidays and birthdays we commemorate every year. 365 days, brand new, given to us as a gift for us to make of what we will.

I admit, some of my resolutions for 2007 sound a lot like the goals listed in the first paragraph. But overall, I’m going to be getting back to basics, making sure my foundations are sure so that in 2008, I can build on them.

One of my major goals for 2007 has to do with writing. I’m a stay-at-home mom, a media reviewer, a homeschooler, and I own my own bath and beauty products company. I am also a Scout leader and a Visiting Teacher. My writing moments are scattered in between everything else I do. It’s impossible for me to say, “I will write from 3 pm to 5 pm today.” Who knows how many fights will erupt in those two hours, how many nosebleeds, bruises, cases of the munchies, blowout diapers, bored children, broken TVs, lost books, and important telephone calls will take place in those two hours, not to mention a baby who won’t take his nap and instead draws on his bedroom walls. Structure is not a luxury I have.

But what I do have is a plan. I know what I want to accomplish, and the actual “when” I accomplish it is not such a biggie. It could be in five minute chunks during "Blue's Clues." It could be the middle of the night. It's the doing, not the when, that's important.

I’m going to share my plans with you here, and you can help me be accountable for them. I find I do much better when I know I have to give a report when I’m done.

Overall Goals: Rewrite book #6, have it edited, get it submitted. Rewrite book #3, have it edited, get it submitted.

Book #6 --

12/27/06 – 1/15/07: Read all research books on my desk, watch documentaries on desk, fill in details on Internet. Interview father-in-law.

1/16/07 – 1/31/07: Make changes in book, edit it.

2/1/07: E-mail to editor #1.

Month of February – while waiting to get book back from editor #1, read a pile of suspense books as research for book #3.

3/07 – 6/07: Rewrite book #3.

**At some point in here, get book #6 back from editor #1, make changes, and send to editor #2.**

7/01/07: Have changes to book #3 finished, and e-mailed to editor A.



That’s all I’ll map out right now. I have to see how life goes. But in July, I’ll be ready to reevaluate and determine what my next step is from there.

What about you? Do you have plans for your writing for the new year? I'll be posting an update at the end of every month, and if you like, you can report your progress as well.

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...