I'd like to introduce you to my writer friend, Ryan Hunter. She pretty much rocks in a massive way. Rather than my telling you this, though, how about if I turn the time over to her and she can demonstrate her awesomeness for herself.
Ten Random Writing Facts
1. “In Search of Lost Time” was the longest novel ever written at 4,211 pages and a word count of 1.2 million.
2. From the time a person begins writing as a hobby, it takes them an average of eight years to become traditionally published.
3. Agented authors send an average of 65 queries before gaining representation.
4. Total time for a novel to reach the shelves after the initial idea: about two years.
5. Random House recently paid out what could be the highest advance of all time, $3.5 million for the essay collection “Not That Kind of Girl” by Lena Dunham.
6. “A Tale of Two Cities” by Charles Dickens is considered to be the highest selling book of all time with 200 million copies since its publication in 1859.
7. John Locke, author of nine novels, was the first author to sell more than 1 million Kindle books on Amazon, the eighth to join the Kindle Million Club.
8. Author Hugh Howey says he makes six-figures each month from Amazon book sales.
9. The highest grossing movie based on a book (adjusted for inflation) was “Gone With the Wind” with a gross of: $400 million, inflation adjusted to $6.52 billion.
10. According to a report in The Guardian, most self-published authors average $10,000 per year with unlimited earning potential.
Ryan Hunter is the author of inDIVISIBLE, a dystopian that’s being hailed as a modern-day 1984; and Premeditated, a YA suspense. She’s a wife and mother of five. She’s an avid runner, blogger and baker.