Thursday, January 20, 2011

Author Interview: Stephanie Humphreys

Today I'm joined by Stephanie Humphreys, blogger at Write Bravely and new author.  I've known Stephanie for several years, having first met her at the LDStorymakers Writers Conference, and have really enjoyed getting to know her and appreciating her talent.

Me: Stephanie, you just recently published your first novel, Finding Rose.  How long have you been pursuing your writing journey, and how does it feel to hold this first book in your hands?


Stephanie:  When I was five years old, I decided I wanted to write books. I wrote consistently until I got married and had children. In 2001, I finally picked up the pen again and started writing and learning all I could about the craft. At the time I focused more on short stories, but realized that novels were what I really loved. I finished my first book in 2006. Holding Finding Rose for the first time was overwhelming.  I was vacationing in Utah with my family last August when my editor contacted me and said she thought they could have the book finished for the LDSBA convention, and asked if I would be willing to do a signing there. So the first time I saw the book was when I approached the booth at the convention. I didn't really have time to absorb it because I had to sit down and do a signing.  In some ways, it was a strange experience.


Me:  I was there when you came in and sat down - I remember how cool that was!  Now, you live in Canada, and your publisher is located in Utah.  Has it been difficult to carry on this "long-distance relationship?"


Stephanie:  I don't find the relationship with the publisher to be difficult, though I am sure it would be a little easier if I lived closer. My location was a concern when we first started talking about publishing Finding Roseso I'm very grateful they bought the book. When I am in Utah, I visit their office and they are good at answering my emails.  The hardest part for me has been connecting with readers, since the majority of the LDS market is still in Utah. I'd like to travel and meet more people, but family and finances make that difficult. 


Me:  What has been your favorite thing so far about being a published author?


Stephanie:  My favourite thing about being published is the sense of accomplishment I feel. Writing a book and being published has been one of my goals for as long as I can remember. When I first held the book in my hands, I realized that with dedication and hard work, I could achieve anything I set my mind to. The other thing I love is hearing from readers who tell me how much they loved the book. 


Me:  What are you working on now, and do you have a publication date for a future project?


Stephanie:  Right now I am almost finished the editing on a suspense novel called Double Deceit. It's about a young widow who returns to her hometown to repair her relationship with her sister and move on with her life.  When she receives threatening letters and phone calls, she discovers she can't escape her past and until she faces it head on.  I'll be submitting it to the publisher before the end of the month, and if they like it, we'll set a publication date. 


Me:  And, just for fun, are you a barefoot girl, wear socks around the house, or do you wear shoes and socks around the house?


Stephanie:  Sometimes I am a barefoot girl in July and August, but the rest of the year, my feet get too cold. I have a pair of moccasins that I wear around the house, but I've worn a hole in the leather and need to find a replacement pair soon because I can't live without them. When I'm cold, I don't accomplish anything, so it's worth the investment.



Thanks for taking time to hang out with me today, Stephanie!


Read my review of Finding Rose here. If you would like to read the interview Stephanie hosted for me, you can click on it here.  And while you're there, be sure to become a follower on her blog!

3 comments:

Unknown said...

Ah, to be published so young. Good for you, Stephanie! Hope I get to read your book sometime.

Stephanie Humphreys said...

Thanks Tristi. It was fun swapping interviews with you.

Marie Higgins said...

Stephanie! It's so good to get to know you. I was also at the book seller's conference last August and held my book for the first time. What an experience! I wished you lived closer so we could do double-book signings together!

Your book is on my TBR list. I love the cover and the story sound so fascinating. Your next story sounds intriguing as well!

~Marie~

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...