Friday, February 22, 2008

So, What's the Big Deal about Bananas, Anyway?

When I posted the other day about my children eating all the bananas and how much that irritated me, I could almost sense you all saying, "They're bananas. Get over it!" There was a bit more to the story than that, but until I had more information, I didn't want to divulge too much. Now that I have the information I need, I shall proceed to divulge. (I bet you didn't know bananas were so mysterious . . . )

On Monday, I went in for a N.A.E.T. allergy treatment. Essentially, the doctor will muscle test to make sure you really are allergic to the thing you think you're allergic to, and then you hold a vial that has been electrically charged with the engery of that substance while the doctor pushes various pressure points on your back. Then for twenty-five hours, you can't consume or even touch the thing you're allergic to, after which time, you can then consume it without the allergic reaction.

I am allergic to corn, so I was treated for corn. On the way home, I stopped at the store to buy myself some food that didn't contain any form of corn (you know how hard that is to find?) So this is where the bananas come in. I also got rice, some chicken, and some broccoli. This was meant to tide me over for twenty-five hours. And then, when my bananas were heartlessly consumed, and I was hungry . . . well, now you get the reason for my angst.

However, my twenty-five hours stretched into fifty. I felt absolutely terrible as my twenty-four hour mark drew near, and I called in to see what I should do. They had me come back down, and retreated me, only this time, treating me for corn and for the fungus that usually accompanies it. I could tell immediately that this treatment wasn't like the other, and when I ate some corn last night, I didn't have the reaction I usually do. My honey's on his way to the store right now to buy me some Doritos (usually a huge allergy trigger for me) so we can see just to what extent this worked.

I'm delighted with the results so far, but I have to say, getting to this point has not been easy. For two days, I've been suffering from the worst headaches known to man, and my nerves have just been trampled. Even though no needle ever touches you, having this allergy treatment is like being inoculated, in that you do have some of the symptoms you would in an allergy attack while your body is clearing it out of your system. I really was very allergic, and so my clearing process wasn't lovely. But hey, if I no longer have to live in fear of accidentally eating hidden corn, I'm all good.

So, anyway, that's the story of the bananas. But I didn't see the need to go into the whole allergy thing if it didn't work. Waste of time and storage space on my blog, and all that, you know.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

I've never heard of a treatment like this. Hope it works for you.

Luisa Perkins said...

Wow, how wonderful to have found a treatment that works! It sounds painful, but worth it.

Mrs Andy said...

I've never heard of a corn allergy, but it does not suprise me. In our extended family we have a celiac, soy-allergy (also in everything), various nuts, and dairy.

I wonder sometimes if the food allergies we see today is because of the processing most of our food goes thru?

Karen said...

I can only imagine how relieved you must feel. I've not had to deal with food allergies, but it sounds like a terrible way to live. So happy for you that you found something that works.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...