Sunday, February 24, 2008

Life is Beautiful -- And Cheesy

Doritos are a comfort food for me. They remind me of being a little girl and going up into the canyon with my family, roasting hot dogs over a fire, and eating Doritos, along with diet A&W root beer. We didn't do this all the time, but we did it often enough that the smell of Doritos evokes positive memories for me. Unfortunately, they are made from corn. And the cheesy stuff on the outside is made from corn. It's a double whammy, and any time I eat Doritos, I'm sure to come down with a massive headache within an hour.

But, not last night!

After having the N.A.E.T. treatment I mentioned in my previous blog, I was anxious to see just how corn-free I really was. I tried a little of this, a little of that -- no reaction. So it was time to pull out the big guns. That's right -- the Doritos. The migraine trigger that never fails. I ate a nice big helping, my headache cocktail standing by, should it be needed.

I didn't get a headache. Not one. Nada. Zip. Zilch.

I can't even tell you how good it feels to not be scared of hidden corn anymore. (Did you know corn's in almost everything? It's corn syrup, corn starch, food starch, food solids, maltodextrin, dextrose, xanthan gum, and a whole bunch of other stuff I don't even have time to mention, plus it's in deodorant, shampoo, baking soda, baking powder, and the sacks some fast foods come in) I took my son to lunch this afternoon and as I stood looking at the menu board, I realized that I didn't have to wonder how sick I was going to get afterward. I could order what I wanted to, without having to worry. It felt great.

The migraines I got after eating corn were sometimes so debilitating, after eating a slice of cheesecake at a restaurant one night, I literally begged my husband to chop off my head. He wouldn't do it, the stinker. I never did isolate why one kind of corn would only give me a slight headache while another kind would make me beg for death, but I don't have to worry about that anymore. Can I just say, life is definitely beautiful.

10 comments:

Anonymous said...

That's incredible! Enjoy the Doritos!

Unknown said...

yay!!!!

this is good news for you!

peace,
kathleen

Danyelle Ferguson said...

Tristi

That is so cool. You need to tell me more about this testing, etc. I wonder if it would help Isaac with his milk allergy or not. Hmmm . . .

Danyelle

Tristi Pinkston said...

I think it would, Danyelle -- I'll send you an e-mail later and tell you more.

Jennifer @ Fruit of My Hands said...

Glad you are feeling better! I love doritos!

Traci Hunter Abramson said...

Tristi,

I'm so glad to hear that the migraines are (hopefully) a thing of the past. Enjoy your newfound freedom!

Karen said...

Well, I just posted my comment for this on your last post -- but just want to say I'm ecstatic for you!

Kimberly Vanderhorst said...

I'm so, so happy for you!

You can enjoy your lovely new cover headache free! Wheeee!

Anonymous said...

LOVELY! Just... don't trade in the sugar for a bag of Doritos, now that you can have them. :0D

Lisa said...

That is really great. My oldest gets a headache from popcorn. I never thought of a corn allergy. She doesn't seem to have problems with any other corn. Very interesting!! Glad you have done well with the treatment.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...