Friday, August 31, 2012

Announcing Merrill Osmond's New Book: Faith, Hope, and Gravity!


Merrill Osmond announces the release of his new book, Faith, Hope, and Gravity, co-authored with Shirley Bahlmann.

About the book:  “Faith, Hope and Gravity” is the spiritual, magical adventure of teenage Liam Kane as he discovers some of the same lessons Merrill Osmond learned as the world-traveling lead singer of the Osmond Brothers. Like Merrill, Liam is often misunderstood as he helps those seeking for purpose in their extraordinary talents. Liam’s visionary abilities gain him international notoriety as “The Prophecy Boy” who swims with dolphins, dreams of a mysterious red door, and champions those who are often misjudged for their uncommon gifts. Surviving kidnapping, near-drowning, and imprisonment leads to the discovery that despite differences, when people respect each other and their wide variety of abilities, the thread of commonality that runs through mankind grows ever stronger. 

Merrill and Shirley are throwing a party to celebrate, and you can join in! Head over here and like the page, then head back here and tell me why you'd like to receive a free copy of Merrill's Broadway album.


The winner will be chosen randomly from all those who comment on this blog, stating they have "liked" the page.

Now, another treat - Merrill has answered some interview questions for us, and here they are!

What were some of the books you read as a child and how have they influenced you?

I used to read Robin Hood over and over. I couldn't quite understand how someone could steal and be praised for it. I didn't understand who the good guy was in the end. I observed a lot of lies, a lot of deceit and justification to try to get the poor the goods they needed. I also saw how those who sat around and did nothing always seemed to get fed and taken care of, too. But the most interesting thread that wrapped everything into my head was the guy at the top, the king, the so called God that ruled and reigned over all the good and the bad. That individual became my life’s study. With the power to do as he pleased, why did any of this good/bad stuff have to happen at all? Was there not enough of everything to go around? Couldn't he have talked to the people and asked what the needs were, then tried to do something about it?

My childhood stories were not just read in books, but watching many people as a child I would make up the funniest books anyone could have written.

What is one memory you have of your earliest experiences with music?

 I can remember way back when we started. I was only four and my father would drive us around to fairs and different gatherings that we would sing at. But I would have to say my most vivid memories are when we started on the Andy Williams show. We were supposed to do one show with Andy and it turned in to six years. It was a live show and that’s where we got the nickname of “One Take Osmonds.” Each week we would have to come up with a new routine to stay fresh and so we would learn to play an instrument one week, ice skate, tap dance, you name it, we had to do it. But we had the best production behind us and we learned to get it right. You don’t want to mess up live on TV. It also put a lot of pressure on us as young children if you think about our age and the pressure we were under to be perfect each time. But it made us who were are today and still performing together over 50 years.

Can you share a little about writing Faith, Hope & Gravity and your road to publication?

Well…”Faith, Hope and Gravity” has been in my head for a long time, more years than I care to say.  It’s so much a part of me that many people have a hard time understanding sometimes about my deep thoughts and the way I look at the world. I thought that maybe this book would use the stories in a way that people would get to know who I am and ask, “Is this really fiction, or is this Merrill Osmond?” As you read the book, you will see pieces of my thought process and how I viewed the world.


No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...