Thursday, April 05, 2012

Book Review: Caller ID by Rachelle Christensen

Courtney Beckham is the daughter of a successful developer, so she's used to living in a nice home and having the things she wants and needs. Circumstances in her past have made her wary of relationships, and people in her life have formed the wrong impression of her - they think she's a spoiled little rich girl, a big flirt, and she would like nothing more than to change their opinions of her, but that would require her to open herself up and share the shadows of her past, and that's not something she's ready to do.

One day while horseback riding near her home, Courtney stumbles on a crop of marijuana growing in the woods. When confronted by angry men with guns who have been cultivating the plants, Courtney promises not to say anything if they'll just let her go, but they don't take her up on her offer. Instead, they abduct her and hold her captive.

As Courtney tries to escape, she discovers secrets that rock her world and put her in greater danger than ever before.

I enjoyed this novel by award-winning author Rachelle Christensen. The plot was full of twists and turns - two that I can think of completely caught me off guard. I would say that is Rachelle's biggest strength - her ability to take a plot we believe is predictable and turn it on its head until we don't know which way is up anymore. The tension was great throughout, the conflict well displayed, and I appreciate that we were given a suspenseful story without gratuitous violence or the use of crass language. It's hard to find stories that properly convey danger and life-threatening situations without delving into topics that are too dark for some readers, but this novel had just the right balance.

I found this novel a quick read, probably because I was turning the pages rapidly so I could see what was going to happen next.

You can purchase Caller ID by clicking here.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Tristi, Great review. I definately makes me want to put this book on my "to read" list. Tina Scott

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...