Sunday, January 01, 2012

Philosophy

We all have circumstances that arise in our lives. Some we can control, and some we can't. When we learn the difference, we'll be much happier.

In the things we control, we can choose light, life, joy, and happiness.

In the things we can't control, we can choose faith, endurance, and a positive attitude.

No one can make us miserable - they can choose to do things that are mean, unkind, thoughtless, and cruel, but we can choose our reactions to them.

We may feel stuck in our situation. We may feel that we will never get out of where we are. The answers may be a long time in coming, but we can decide how we live while we wait for those answers. We can choose to make every day something special, or we can curl up in a ball and whimper. What will you choose while you wait for your answer? It will be just as long in coming no matter which path you take - being miserable does not bring it about any faster, so why put yourself through that?

The last two years have been the hardest of my life, but I have also felt the most blessed, loved, protected, and guided. 2012 is my year - not because everything is going to go my way, but because I will face what does come with dignity and faith. Of all the goals or resolutions I could make this year, that is the biggest one.

Happy New Year!

11 comments:

Randy said...

Beautiful sentiments. Thanks for sharing them. And you're not the only one in that situation. Although, I think you had much more traumatic events than I did. Best wishes to you this year.

Tristi Pinkston said...

It has definitely been a rough time for a lot of people!

Mary Ann said...

I love your positive attitude! It has taken me a lifetime to learn to be positive, and I continue to struggle with it at times. We have the power within us to choose. Everyone goes through hard times. That's part of the reason I write. My ancestors went through hardships I will never know. Their struggles and their sacrifices gave me the foundation I have. And so it goes . . .

Donna K. Weaver said...

It's that whole opposition in all things, I guess. We have our greatest growth when we're going through our hardest times. We learn to appreciate our health only when we've struggled with it. I remember to value our loved ones most when we've lost or come close to losing one.

Happy New Year, Tristi!

Cathy said...

Great post, Tristi. I'm sorry the last two years have been so tough. I just have to say you hide it well. You are a writing beast. What you have accomplished impresses me all to crazy. Thanks for being such a positive, great example.

Peggy Eddleman said...

I love this! And I totally agree that we choose our own reactions to things. Facing what comes with dignity and faith is one of the best resolutions I've read!

Anonymous said...

Brava, Tristi! This is very close to what I'm feeling about this year, too. I hope it's an awesome one for you! (And for me, too!)

Angie said...

Thanks, Tristi. That is such an important thing to do, as I keep learning over and over...

Joyce P Smith said...

Thanks Tristi - not only are you a motivation with weight loss, but a motivational writer of awesomeness!
~Joyce S.

Unknown said...

It's been a hard year for many, especially with the economy. Faith and dignity are the way to go. Thanks for reminding us.

Carolyn Twede Frank said...

Well said, Tristi! You are an inspiration to us all.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...