Tuesday, February 15, 2011

Author Interview: Joan Sowards

Today, my special guest is Joan Sowards.  Joan, thank you for taking the time to answer my questions - I've been interested to learn more about you.


Your first published novel was Haunts Haven. Was it the first book you wrote, or are you like me and have your first book hidden away in a trunk somewhere?

My first novel, Bridges of the Heart, is still on my computer. Through it, I learned a lot about writing.Bridges still has a few kinks to work out, but I hope to publish it someday. 


Chocolate Roses and The Star Prophecy are very different from each other in genre, and are different from Haunts Haven.  That makes you a very versatile author.  Will you be sticking with these three genres, or do you have ideas for books in even more genres?




While writing The Star Prophecy, I never labeled it a Book of Mormon novel, and I didn’t consider Haunts Haven an LDS romance. (With Chocolate Roses there was no doubt.) I believe all stories need a touch of romance even if it’s actually about ghosts, chocolate, or world travelers, so I will stick with calling my genre “versatile LDS romance.” :-)




I think that works!  Now, when you did your virtual book tour for "Chocolate Roses," you created a darling apron as the grand prize for your readers.  How long have you been sewing, and what kinds of things do you most enjoy making?

I enjoy sewing and learn as a young girl.  I make aprons because I believe in them—yes, I’m a messy cook. Every bride needs an apron, and every cook.



Your blog says you love to compose.  Can you tell us a little more about that?

I used to make up songs as a child and learned basic guitar chords as a teen. My husband bought us a piano with our first tax return and I started writing down my songs, and have been at it ever since. Through the years I’ve written an annual Christmas song, an annual YW song based on the yearly scripture, music for plays, weddings, and songs for stake women conferences. I was never good at marketing, so they are on my website for anyone to print for church and personal enjoyment.

When did you first know you wanted to be an author?

I wrote a Nancy Drew wannabe in fifth grade, but didn’t save it when I realized the story was going nowhere. I didn’t know about crafting a plot back then.  After my five children were born, and while knee-deep in family history research, I felt prompted to sit down at the computer and write how an interview with a particular ancestor would go. It evolved into my first novel, Bridges of the Heart. Through that experience, I discovered I loved to write, and have been writing ever since.





It was so fun to get to know you a little bit better, Joan!  Thanks for stopping by.  I've enjoyed your novels and wish you the best with all your endeavors.

9 comments:

Rebecca Blevins said...

Great interview! Thanks!

Peggy Urry said...

Thanks for sharing with us Joan. so loved The Star Prophecy and look forward to reading your other books.

kbrebes said...

Very nice!

Anonymous said...

Great interview. I love that Joan writes music. I have been to her website and her music is beautiful.

Steve Westover said...

I like the new genre title "Versatile LDS Romance."

I enjoyed The Star Prophesy. I hope others pick it up. Its a fun and interesting read.

Joan Sowards said...

Thank you, Tristi!

Tristi Pinkston said...

You are very welcome, Joan!

Valerie Ipson said...

Joan is definitely versatile!!

Jane Isfeld Still said...

I had 2 songs I wrote recorded. I am so envious that you can write the music as well as lyrics Joan. Good on you!!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...