Saturday, January 02, 2010

Book Review - The Adventures of Hashbrown Winters by Frank L. Cole

"The Adventures of Hashbrown Winters" is the first offering from middle-grade novelist Frank L. Cole.

Hashbrown Winters is a boy with a problem. He didn't mean for it to happen, but he accidentally sort of squished the pet roach belonging to the school bully with his prize marble, and now that bully wants revenge. The only way for Hashbrown to gain safety is to seek out the school's mafia boss and beg for protection. He ultimately succeeds, but the way is left clear for a sequel, which will be released next week.

The story is geared to the younger reader, but is filled with hyperbole I think is best understood and appreciated by adults, so parents and children might enjoy reading the book together. The plots and schemes are rather clever and the book is definitely unique in its presentation.

I did have one slight issue - but I offer it with the understanding that I am not this book's target audience. Rather than being a middle-school-aged boy, I am a thirty-three-year-old woman, and so my perspective will be a bit different. But I wasn't really in to all the potty humor contained in the book. It was just over the top for me. But that being said, I know that some readers will find it hilarious. Personally, I best enjoyed the segments of wry humor that were not potty-related.

(This book was released in 2009 by Bonneville Books.)

Note: I received this book as a gift from the author in exchange for a review.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

It sounds cute. I'll have to give it a go with my dudes. Thanks, Tristi!

Word Designer said...

This is just the sort of book I like to read. I spend a great deal of time reading books that are targeted to middle-grade and younger and it is sometimes difficult to judge by the cover of a book whether it is something I really want to spend time with.

Thank you for a very interesting review.

Word Designer

Framed said...

If nothing else, the name"Hasbrown Winters is hilarious.

Kimberly Job said...

I'm always looking for books for my kids in that age group. Thanks for the honest review.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...