Sunday, October 11, 2009

Sunday Soliloquy - Women in the Church

Sometimes, persons outside the Church, and sometimes persons within it, wonder what the woman's place is in the organization. With men so apparently at the forefront, there has been quite a bit of confusion as to what the women are supposed to do, or what role of importance they might play. A modern prophet said this:


"It is so tremendously important that the women of the Church stand strong and immovable for that which is correct and proper under the plan of the Lord ... If they will be united and speak with one voice, their strength will be incalculable.

... When you save a girl, you save generations. She will grow in strength and righteousness. She will marry in the house of the Lord. She will teach her children the ways of truth. They will walk in her paths and will similarly teach their children. Wonderful grandmothers will be there to lend encouragement. I see this as the one bright shining hope in a world that is marching toward self-destruction." Gordon B. Hinckley


Listen to the full address here.

I was led to this address while working on an assignment for my part-time Church service mission. I've always had a strong testimony of the role of women in our Heavenly Father's plan and I've always known that LDS women are not the downtrodden waifs some members of the press would portray. What touched me the most about this address was the power in the prophet's words as he spoke of motherhood. I've been having one of those days (children trying to kill each other - you know how it goes) where motherhood seemed like an impossible task, like I was fighting a battle that could not be won. This address inspired me to pick up my sword again and plunge back into the fray.

My thoughts this Sunday - the battle is worth the reward. To give up would be to surrender not only the crown, but the well-being of my family. I carry tremendous influence in my home and only I can determine what my actions will be, and my actions will determine whether I win or lose. In this battle, the field is the soul, and I decide what takes place in my soul.

6 comments:

Cluttered Brain said...

YES, indeedy! I am with you. I left my wonderful hospital job in Salt Lake as a CNA to stay home with my 2 girls. My choice. Then I got pregnant with my third. I don't regret it. Some days are harder then others but so worth it in the end.

I am reminded by the quote--
"I never said it would be easy,
I only said it would be worth it."

That's motherhood to a tee. Hard. We endure so much. But when the day is through and the fighting has ceased, who do they come and find? Mother.

Thanks for this post. :)

Teri said...

While serving my mission, I had a young woman ask my companion and I why there were no women in the leadership of the Church. I was taken aback, partly due to the fact, I had always just assumed that everyone knew how important the role women play in the Gospel of Jesus Christ. I think we stammered some sort of answer, and managed to appease her. It really shook me, enough to really gain a testimony of how important we are. Thank you for the wonderful reminder to pick up the sword and continue in the battle that we as women are fighting for the cause of righteousness.

Taffy said...

Thanks, Tristi!

Shari said...

I'm ready to pick up my sword, too, and beat my children with it. j/k That was very inspirational and I have to say that I feel the same way about latter-day-saint women.

Anonymous said...

Beautiful, Tristi. I agree with you! If this battle is taking place in my soul, I get to choose now to be the victor. As much as I want to feed them to rabid hamsters somedays, my children and family are the most important thing. I am their shield from an uncertain future. I refuse to step out of the way.

Cheri Chesley said...

Fight the good fight. It's not about glory in battle; it's about each little soul we nurture to love and respect our Heavenly Father. Great post!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...