Saturday, August 09, 2008

My Precious . . .

For Gollum, it was a ring of power, a ring that could give him anything he wanted in the world. For some, it's money. For others, it's jewelry. For some, it's fame. Everyone has their passion. Everyone has that one thing that makes their hearts beat faster, their breathing come in ragged bursts, at the thought of possessing it.

This is my precious:
School supplies.

Yeah, you heard me, school supplies. Note the crayons. Behold the pens. Cast your eyes upon the glue sticks. Are they not the most lovely things you've ever seen?

Only one thing is missing from this picture. One thing and then my life will be complete -- spiral notebooks. Wal-Mart was all out tonight. But I did get some composition notebooks that will tide me over for now.

All my children are artists. They get that from their daddy. All my children are writers. They get that from me (and my husband too -- he wants to write as well). With four little budding Hemingways/Monets, I need all the art supplies I can get, and I love to buy them at this time of year, when they're all on sale. The crayons were twenty-seven cents a package. That was for Crayola, people -- the good stuff. Don't try to sell me any of that Rose Art garbage -- I don't care if it's seventeen cents a box. We need the real stuff. We're serious about our crayons over here.

Of course I'm delighted to get all this stuff for the sake of my children, but let's talk about me for a minute. You know it always comes back to me. Did you notice those beautiful pens in the foreground? Shall we all heave a happy sigh together? Those pens represent words. Beautiful, beautiful words. Books will be written with those pens. Love notes, cute pictures, and grocery lists will be created with those pens. They'll also get lost under couches and stolen by Pen Gremlins, but the possibilities are endless.

I could go on and on about my love of school supplies. Folders, glue. . . POST-IT NOTES!! Yes! POST-IT NOTES!! But I shall try to calm down. Really, I shall.

Just know that I am very, very happy right now.

18 comments:

Karlene said...

Oh my. We are sisters of the heart. My kids are too old for crayons, and my grandchildren too young, and yet, I still found myself at the store, trying to justify buying 10 boxes of Crayolas. :)

Karen said...

Ooh, I like your new picture and the color is nice, too. I have a weakness for school supplies, too. I love the line from "You've Got Mail" -- something something I'll send you a 'bouquet of newly sharpened pencils.' Love it!

Marsha Ward said...

Tristi, I knew we had a lot in common. Sometimes this writing-implement-love condition is inherited. My mother used to walk slowly through the stationery aisles of stores, brushing the paper and spiral notebooks with her fingertips, a look of intense longing on her face. I do the same thing, except that I buy, where at the time she had loads of kids and not much income.

Jennifer @ Fruit of My Hands said...

I LOVE office/school supplies too. I could go crazy in a staples.

I'm with you on Crayola art supplies too.

Keeley said...

Tristi, you MUST go to England. They have STATIONERY shops there. I joke not. Shops devoted entirely to wonderful, beautiful stuff.

And all the stuff is the most marvelous treasure you've ever seen.

Fountain pens
cartridges
biros
pencils
paintbrushes
paint
pads of paper

Not just ordinary pencils, pens, paintbrushes. Oh no. A Willy Wonka Emporium of pencils, pens and paintbrushes.

Magazines like you've never seen before - you would not BELIEVE the treasure trove of awesome children's magazines. And they all have really great prizes inside. There's NOTHING like it here.

If there's one thing I miss about England, it's Ryman's or W.H.Smith's. Incredible shops. I drove my daughter nuts by spending AGES in there.

Oh gosh. I have to stop thinking about it. It's driving me mad with the longing.

C. Michelle Jefferies said...

Oh Tristi!
I love you!
You make me laugh!

I had to post on this blog, I LOVE school supplies too, I walk up and down the school supply isles at wallmart everytime I go there. I buy pens ink paper all the time and I just got these cool heart and star shape post its! Our walmart was out of the spiral notebooks too. :(

Ah, a forever friend indeed.
Michelle

Jewel Allen said...

I LOVE post-it notes! I make lots of lists on them...and promptly ignore them!

Don said...

Yeah, baby! The possibilities are endless.

I picked up a 10-pack of red pens for 50 cents so I can include them when I send my MS to my readers.

I also picked up some colored pens for ME to make notes with - 8 different colors. It helps me keep my notes straight.

Yeah, I love school supplies, too.

Kimberly Vanderhorst said...

Love the new header!

I'm a school supply lover too. Can't wait till Emma goes to school!

Josi said...

Your such a good person, Tristi. My fetish stops at mechanical pencils, I'm afraid, though I have a secret stash of pens hiding in a drawer at all times. Crayons make me angry, they are messy and my kids love to break them into as many pieces as they possibly can and hide them along the baseboards of the house. I'm all for notebooks though--those are precious.

Dan Olsen said...

I love playing with markers. Back in the day when I would do bank reconciliations I would pull out about 8 or so different colors of highlighters and use them to highlight different categories of things.

Now that I do bank reconciliations in Excel, I still use the spreadsheets' built in markers to highlight different categories of things...sigh...however, when I highlight something in an Excel spreadsheet it lacks the smell of a marker. I loved the markers that smelled like licorice and such.

Thanks for the trip down memory lane.

Holly (2 Kids and Tired) said...

I haven't purchased any school supplies yet. Sigh. Love your new look, too.

Unknown said...

Tristi,
I love this post! My precious! I actually went to Wal-Mart on Saturday night and gazed longingly at the aisles of school supplies. I love to look at all the pens, highlighters, notebooks etc. Yes, my husband thinks I'm funny, but now we have a child in school and we get to buy school supplies for someone other than me!! :)

Autumn said...

You crack me up! I love the "give me the real stuff" no RoseArt crap! hehe I feel the same.

Carrie and Troy Keiser said...

Hehehehahaha! :D
We got note books for 7 cents each ...we have bags full!
And there is nothing like a brand-new box of Crayloas!

Sandra said...

When Walgreens had school supplies on sale a couple of weeks ago and I had a gazillion coupons? I went crazy buying folders, and notebooks, and pens, and pencils, and paper and... All shiny and new and full of potential and possibilities.

I have to take cash with me when I go to purchase anything from the stationary aisle or else I will ignore the bank balance and get crazy.

Unknown said...

I go nuts this time of year too! This year's prize a thermal laminator - picked up at Kmart for $40! I can't wait to put together all those file folder games for my preschooler & kindergartener! But believe me, we buy our share of crayons, pens, pencils and paper too. Our biggest problem is the space to put it all!!

Danyelle Ferguson said...

Tristi - you are soo cute! School supplies? Well, that works for me. I stock up on the Crayola crayons this time of year too. Some I save for my Sunbeam class crayons (cause you gotta replace those above every six months!) And a bunch for rotating through our family supply as well.

Let's see, what am I passionate about . . . books and clothes. John just went through our budget from the summer and I splurged on LOTS of books. What can I say, there were some really dang good sales going on! I just can't resist a good book for a good price! The clothes . . . well, that's just the girly-girl in me. :)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...