Friday, April 04, 2008

Um, Mom?

The last time I used my oven, some of the sauce from the dish overflowed and hit the bottom of the oven. I didn't have time to clean it up and had forgotten about it. This morning I slid a pan of buttermilk biscuits into the oven and noticed a slightly smoky smell. The oven was already hot and it was too late to do anything about it, so I decided to let it burn off.

A couple of minutes later . . .

My son: Mom, what's that smell?

Me: Something spilled on the bottom of the oven. It's burning off. Everything is fine.

My other son: Mom, what do I smell?

Me: You smell some sauce that fell on the bottom of the oven. Everything is fine.

My daughter: Mom, it's getting smoky in here.

Me: When something is burning off, it does create smoke. Everything is just fine. Your breakfast is not burning.

Me, two minutes later: Oh, crap . . .

9 comments:

Luisa Perkins said...

Hee hee--NICE finish!

(Bummer about the biscuits, though.)

Holly said...

LOL!! I hate it when that happens. ;)

Jen said...

Ha ha ha!

ali said...

Uh Oh. Did you enjoy your biscuits with that lovely burned-in smell that somehow becomes a taste?

I grew up with that smell/taste and weirdly, I miss it. It's what I associate with homemade cookin'!

Karlene said...

Been there, done that! Many times. And sometimes, I can't even blame it on spilled gunk.

But the one my family especially enjoys is when I put eggs on to boil (on high) and forget about them...for an hour or so...Don't even try to clean it up. Just throw them out, pan and all.

carrie & troy keiser said...

hahahehehehahhhhhhhhhhhhhhoohahe! Oh no "your breakfast is not burning. Oh crap!"

Danyelle F. said...

Very, very funny! LOL!

Jennifer said...

The worst "kitchen" disaster I've had is I left pacifiers on to boil and sterilize, left the room, and forgot about them entirely until I smelled a plasticky burning smell. Yup, all the water had boiled off and the pacifiers were melted to the bottom of the pain. Oops.

Keeley said...

ROFL!!!! =D =D

Sooo, what did the children end up eating for breakfast?

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...