Thursday, August 23, 2007

Self-Criticism

Let's play a game.

I'm going to post several pictures, and in each one of them, look carefully and find something wrong with it.

Are you ready?




Okay, now this one:



How about this?



Or this?



And last for this round:





Okay, how many things did you find wrong?

It was kind of hard, huh? All of these things are God's creations, and it's pretty difficult to find something to criticize about something God has created.

So why are you so hard on yourself?

Didn't God create you, just like He did these trees and mountains? Just like the baby seal? Aren't you even more precious to Him because you are not only His creation, but His child? If you can't find something to criticize in the beauty of these creations, why are you so quick to criticize His most wonderful creation, which is you?

Game #2: Find something wrong with each of the following pictures.






What about these?

We would never dream of criticizing the temple, would we? It's the house of the Lord and has been made from the finest materials to glorify God.

And yet we criticize our own bodies.

Know ye not that ye are the temple of the most High God?

I fall into this trap all the time -- I have a good self-image but my body image really isn't all that wonderful. Just this last week I realized that when I talk negatively about my body, I'm criticizing one of God's temples.

I challenge and encourage you to think about your own true nature. You are a child of God. He created you. Stop nitpicking God's most choice creation and take joy in the beautiful thing that you are.

13 comments:

Kimberly Vanderhorst said...

Oh Tristi, that was beautiful! Uplifting and inspiring, and much needed. Thank you!

Rebecca Talley said...

Wow, incredible photos. I love the one with the lightning.

You make a great point. Thanks.

Unknown said...

Whoa! Thought provoking, Tristi. I do believe you're right. Unless we've done something awful to our body deliberately--or someone else has done it to us. Then I guess we're not the creation God intended. But that isn't often the case. And I'm sure we're still beautiful in His eyes, no matter what has happened to us.

Thanks for yet another inspiring idea.

Karen E. Hoover said...

You hit awfully close to home with your thoughts today. I'll definitely be thinking on this blog for a long time to come.

Stephanie Black said...

Thanks, Tristi! I really needed to hear this.

Julie Wright said...

thank you for the reminder. I hate how easy it is to trap myself in self criticism. You are awesome to put it into perspective for me!

Ronda Gibb Hinrichsen said...

You know, Trisit, you should be a young women's leader or a Relief Society teacher. What a talent you have for lifting our "inclined to self-criticism" selves.

Karen said...

Thanks, I needed that. I like your response to Anne's question, too!

Keeley said...

Oh!! Oh how marvelously unexpected and refreshing to read your post! Ok...now I have to send it to my daughter. =)

Man, I was in a total blue funk...and now I'm not. Thank you so much. =) I think I'll tackle the mess my son just made instead of sitting around feeling sorry for myself. =) =)

Janet Kay Jensen said...

I have to admit, I do like some temples more than the others - - on the outside. Simply because of the architecture. Inside, where it counts, we could be anywhere in the world, and it wouldn't matter.
Janet

Misty said...

This was beautiful. Thank you for your thought provoking words.

Tristi Pinkston said...

Thanks for your replies, everyone -- I'm constantly amazed at how often I'll get something festering in the back of my head to discover how many other people had it festering too.

Author said...

This is the second time that I have read or heard something very inspiring from Tristi Pinkston - you truly have a gift (the first was at the LDS Storymakers class you taught in March). Check out my blog - www.abbottandalyssa.blogspot.com, and keep the inspiration coming!!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...