Saturday, July 28, 2007

To Moan . . . or Not to Moan

I participated in the Moaning Meme last week because I was tagged by an individual who thought she was retaliating for me tagging her -- but what she doesn't know is that I plan to tag her again the very next time I get tagged. I just don't learn easy, Jen . . .

However, to get to the point of this blog, Marsha Ward went to the originating site and had this to say:

"It originated over at freelancecynic.com, where the guy thinks our real selves are reflected through our moaning, not our thanks giving. I'm not entirely sure he's right, but let's give it a try."

Don't get me wrong -- I enjoy Memes as much as the next cyber-addicted person. But I got to thinking about Marsha's comment, and here's my hypothesis.

I believe you can tell a great deal more about a person by their thanksgiving than you can their moaning. Here's why.

1. It's easy to moan, but it's hard to give thanks. People who give thanks are strong and courageous.

2. The fact that a person chooses to give thanks even when things are going poorly demonstrates that they have hope.

3. Look at the things they choose to be thankful for. Often, they'll be thankful for the trials, as well as the blessings, because they know that the trials are for their good. People who give thanks for their trials have faith.

4. There is a scripture in D&C 59:21 that reads: "And in nothing doth man offend God, or against none is his wrath kindled, save those who confess not his hand in all things, and obey not his commandments." A person who is grateful shows respect, worship, and reverence.

5. A person who is grateful attracts light, while a person who complains attracts darkness. This tells me that a grateful person is a beacon.

6. A person who is grateful opens themselves up for more blessings, becoming willing recipients.

I think you can tell about a person's strengths by their gratitude, and their weaknesses by their moaning. Shouldn't we concentrate on what makes us strong?

2 comments:

ali cross said...

Oh Tristi, you are so right! I especially loved #'s 5 and 6 ... they are so very true.
Plus, some of us are not really complainers unless we have a little game to play like that, so they kind of give an off-kilter impression of the person, kwim?

Very nice. Maybe you should start a game of tag in which we share the things that make us happy, that lift us up and those things for which we are grateful? I'd play :)

Marsha Ward said...

I'd rather give thanks, myself, so thank you for this post, Tristi!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...