Friday, June 29, 2007

Topaz Internment Camp To Be Named National Monument


When the Topaz Internment Camp was shut down on October 31st, 1945, pieces of the land were sold off to farmers and home builders. Some of the land remained government property, and for the last several years, the Topaz Museum has been trying to buy back all the rest of the land. Once a certain percentage of the land was repurchased, the museum would then be able to apply to become a national monument. I had the privelege of using some of my limited influence to help raise money for this worthy cause, and I'm delighted to tell you that tomorrow, at a ceremony on the camp site, Topaz will be declared a national monument. It's about time.

I'll be there all day, dividing my time between the camp site and the Delta City Park. If you're going to be in the area, I encourage you to come out to the ceremony (10 am, at the site) and celebration afterward (noon, Delta City Park.) It's truly a piece of history and we should all be part of it if we can.

3 comments:

Josi said...

That is awesome, Tristi. I know Topaz and the circumstance of WWII japanese American's is very dear to you. Wish I could be there to celebrate the occasion with you. Best of luck.

Marsha Ward said...

That is so awesome, Tristi! Have a great day!

Annette Lyon said...

That's terrific, Tristi. I know it's something you've wanted for a long time, and as you've said, it's about time. I hope it's a great experience at the ceremony!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...