I feel like I've just clawed my way through an arid desert, my fingernails digging into the sand as I dragged my lifeless body toward the oasis. Why is that? I had to live through February!
Not such a big deal, you say. We all had to do that. Well, smartypants, just for saying that, let me give you a rundown of my February:
1. Toward the beginning of the month, I had a sebaceous cyst removed from my shoulder. You can learn more about that here. There were eight stitches involved, three underneath the surface and five across the top. It was sore for a long time and still is, a little bit.
2. Then my husband's grandfather died. This was a welcome passing; he'd been lonely since the death of his wife some years ago, but it was still a sad event.
(Side note -- at the funeral, people kept coming up to me and squeezing my shoulder. Yes, the one that was sore. Never mind the fact that I have two shoulders -- they headed for the sore one every time.)
3. Right after Grandpa Pinky died, my mother's husband died. This was also a welcome passing, as he had been in a lot of pain for several years. But there are always the attending emotions, regardless of how welcome the release was. I gave the eulogy (my first.)
4. Then I threw my back really really out sitting at the computer so much.
5. And then I reinjured my already injured tailbone, sitting at the computer so much.
6. Then I hurt my foot. They haven't decided whether I did or did not break the bone, so I've had it up and am only doing the very minimums right now. It hurt like the dickens for the first several days, but I'm feeling much better now.
In the midst of all this, I've had two major crises to either deal with myself or help others deal with that are too personal to share.
It's been a month.
On the other hand, however, there have been some beautiful moments. I'm the Wolf Scout leader in my ward, and our den, my son included, did a great flag ceremony at Pack meeting the other night. I felt so proud of them.
I got several pages in my WIP edited, and have reached the point where I now need to start rewriting.
My two-year-old finally started calling me "Mama," after over a year of calling me, and everyone else, "Daddy."
Yes, we did see some blessings this month as well as the drama. But may I just say, I am so glad February is over!
And may I also say, I sure hope my foot is better by the writers conference or I'm going to be severely curtailed!